Titles

Sunday, April 1, 2012

My D.I.Y. Lace Maxi Skirt

You may have seen my post on the maxi skirt that I was drooling over at Forever21 a few weeks ago...  I have seen many of the long maxi skirts made of sheer fabric with a short covering mini skirt underneath.  I absolutely love this style, but this style of skirt hasn't seemed to work for me.  I have tried on multiple brands at the mall.

First, they are often too long for my short legs.  Second, the mini skirt liner underneath has been made of cheap fabric that clings to my backside and makes the skirt very static. 

This is how my spring break D.I.Y. (Do It Yourself) story came to be.


In protest, I decided to make my own skirt.  I had visualized EXACTLY what I wanted it to look like.

So, I went to the fabric store and bought these two fabrics:




After buying the fabrics and elastic waist band for a total of $15, I let the supplies sit in my room for the majority of spring break.  Finally, just two days before I was set to head back to school, I decided to make the lace maxi skirt that I so badly wanted.  I had no pattern, just the thought of EXACTLY how I wanted it.  My mother was a little skeptical.

Below is a little overview of my process...









It took me a total of 4.5 hours to make.  I started late on March 30th and finished it on the 31st. 

Take a gander at my finished product.  I am pleased with it -- to say the least.


I'm a little excited to create something else.  My own mother was impressed by my sewing abilities.  I made sure to finish all of the edges and have clean finishing on all the seams.  The details make it appear store bought.

I'll admit, I'm kind of proud. :)

1 comment:

  1. Do you usually sew often? I've made my own clothes before but I'm a beginner in sewing with a machine and have a hard time sewing straight lol. You did a very good job! PROPS!

    ReplyDelete